Saturday, January 5, 2008

Not So Bad

It amazes me how the people I think should ‘get’ disabilities are ignorant while those who have had little interaction with the disabled see cerebral palsy and/or depression as just another character trait. Where do people get their perspective? In grad school, a classmate was asked to leave the counseling program because she lacked the ‘social skills’ (empathy, compassion) needed to be a therapist. Getting A’s & B’s on exams weren’t enough.

Thanks to my recent depressive season, my clients have noticed a change in my technique in the two weeks since I’ve returned from leave. They’re more appreciative and disclose much more as I am able to focus more on their needs since my own depression has been stabilized. Seeing the hope in their eyes makes the most recent ‘crash’ worth it as I was reminded how painful depression can be. Here I thought God was ignoring my prayers to take away my desperation and hopelessness when He was looking at the big picture.

How can something so debilitating be such a blessing? How can the very thing that keeps me from effectively doing my job (clinical depression) be the thing that (when stabilized) makes me a great therapist? God uses what was intended to harm me for good. It did harm me, but in retrospect, it wasn’t that bad as I see the good that has come out of it.

 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Cor. 4:14-18

No comments: