Monday, February 11, 2008

Something Else is Possible

At a recent family gathering, a cousin I hadn’t seen for approximately ten years asked why I thought his kids would make fun of me.
You grew up with me so you are use to my speech. Your kids won’t know why I talk funny…
His response was if they make fun of me, he will kick their .

This morning, I walked in on Deanna discussing an upcoming marathon with her coworker. The guy - who only knows me from my talking with Deanna- said something about the record for the 5 mile K is 14 minutes. I told him I ran it in 12:27 minutes.
Excitedly, he asked if I would be on his team. You’re joking, right? Do you really believe I can run 5 miles? Poor guy was disappointed to learn I was teasing him.

As I sit to do some serious writing, I think of an email I received from a friend, responding to my anxiety over writing:

You have given yourself to HIM as a "living sacrifice" - may HE use you as He wishes for His Glory. Be assured of our love and prayers as you abide in HIM (Proverbs 3:5,6).

How do we form our perceived reality? Why do we limit ourselves and others by our refusal to believe something else is possible? As my friend’s email reminded me, our efforts may be our own, but the ultimate outcome is His. He works through us. Whether we succeed or fail, it is not us… it is God working through us.

His ultimate will happens regardless of our ability to write or if someone makes fun of our disability. When will we learn to blanket ourselves in the fact God is in control?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight. – Prov. 3:5,6

1 comment:

Mewie said...

HAHA. I'm so gullible and fall for every tease like that. Sigh.

Great blog you got there. I love how you incorporate a Christian perspective to your field of work - I do something very similar, but from a marketing professional's point of view.

God bless!