Thursday, April 24, 2008

Listen!

Whenever I am having a terrible day, I stop to think what day of the week it is. I am not exaggerating when I say 9 times out of 10, it is Wednesday. Yesterday was a bad day; yesterday was Wednesday.

Not sure if this is due to my speech impediment but one of my pet peeves is when people talk over me or even ignore me all together, especially ‘professionals’. Here is just one example from yesterday:
Shelly and professional A having conversation. Professional B enters room looking directly at prof A., asking what “phlebotomy” meant.
Shelly: blood. It means drawing blood.
Prof. B: Is that what they do to the head?
Prof. A: I don’t know. Go to md.com or google.
Shelly: No, that’s a ‘lobotomy’.
Prof. A: I have a medical dictionary. How do you spell “phlebotomy”?
Prof. B: F, l, a (spelling)

I left the room in frustration no one would listen to me, or believe me. Ten minutes later, I hear “Oh, it means ‘drawing blood for surgical procedures. Then what is it called when they take out part of the brain?” I wanted to yell, ‘is that what happened to you (lobotomy)?’ but I didn’t.

My attitude went downhill from there. I said a quick prayer, felt no better, then asked 3 friends to pray for my attitude (James 5:16). In my heart, I felt peace return as prayers for me went up before the throne. I knew God was in control. At the perfect time, I received an email from one of the pray-ers quoting words that reminded me of the Truth. After reading the quote a second time, I realized I had written those words in my blog just a few hours ago!

People do listen to me after all. And even more amazing, God always listens to me. The question is, do I always listen to Him?

No comments: