Saturday, July 12, 2008

Born for this Job

Yesterday, I received my birth certificate in the mail and instantly imagined the scene occurring when the signatures were inked on the document. I was born at 2:05 am (always have preferred being up at 2 am…) My mom signed as the official representative, which made me smile knowing how my dad always preferred for her to deal with paper work. When she signed, she wouldn’t have known I had cerebral palsy yet, but this 25 year old mother of 3 would have just endured a roller coaster of emotions, and the fun had just begun!

When I called her yesterday, Mom told me again what took place August 24, 1969… both of us almost died, and she begged the doctors to focus on me… save her baby, don’t worry about her. She asked them to pray, along with her family and friends in the waiting room, so people stood around me, praying for my survival. From how she describes it, mom dedicated me to God right then and there, promising she would let him use my life as proof of his miraculous power. “So every day that you’re alive, Shelly, you are a testimony to the world of what God can do”, she said as we ended our discussion.

During my Quiet Time (at 2:05 this morning!), I read how Jesus healed the “insane hermit” (Mark 5:1-15) who begged Jesus to let him go with him. Jesus did not let him, but said “Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he had had mercy on you.”

That is where I find myself now that I have left that oppressive job. Through my writing, I long to share how much the Lord has done for me and how he has had mercy on me. Although I tried to go to Jesus, he had a different plan for my life. He has called me to use my life to glorify God by completing the work he has given me to do. I am ready to give it my all.

I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.
-- John 17:4

--

No comments: