Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Path to E.T.

Many years ago, my brother took me and 2 friends ‘behind the scenes’ at Universal Studios. We went from the bright sunlight into a pitch black setting where you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face. Mark went first since he knew the way, and I held on to him while my friends held on to me. We 3 girls were scared at different deqrees: none of us knew what to expect, but I at least knew my brother was there to protect me. We went around curves surrounded by unfamiliar noises, tripped over a trash can (all 3 of us!) until finally, small opening of light appeared at the end of the tunnel. The further we walked, the brighter it became landing us next in line for the E.T. ride. It took courage and trust to take the unfamiliar path, but in the end, it was incredibly worth it (saved us 2 hours standing in line). Yesterday, I was reminded of this as I began to see where God is leading me, and noticed the similarities between the E.T. ride and living as a Christian.

• The more familiar you are with your leader, the more risks you are willing to take.
• If you don’t hold on to His hand, you will lose your senses and become disoriented. Hold His hand as if your life depended on it because it does.
• There will always be unexpected ‘trash cans’ on the journey, but the closer you are to your Leader, the less disturbance you’ll have in your stride.
• Yes, the crowded way is less intimidating, but the back way is more exciting. You save a lot of time by following, trusting, and clinging on to the Leader as long as you stay right behind Him.
• The next time you walk a dark, unfamiliar journey, it will be easier, knowing how the Leader led you before. The more you walk with Him, the more faith you have and the swifter your step.
• It helps to have friends join you in the journey, but only He knows the ultimate destination.
• Maintain continual contact with Him – Phone Home.

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. – Deuteronomy 31:9

No comments: