Thursday, July 17, 2008

What Was I Thinking?

My internship was working at a psychiatric hospital for teen boys who were victims of sexual abuse, which led to their repeating the cycle and violating others. They were not allowed to walk alone outside of the unit. Whenever I would pass them in the hall, the counselor would continually repeat “focus your thoughts… focus your thoughts…” to remind the boys not to make inappropriate comments. The boys had been prostituted from a young age so all they knew was sex as a means of socializing. Their treatment centered on reprogramming their thoughts.

Jesus said what comes out of a man is what makes him unclean (Mark 7:20). I can definitely attest to that! Even when we don’t share our thoughts and feelings, whatever we harbor within reveals itself to others.

In attempt to clean out my hard drive and the paper clutter in my office, I’ve been compiling a chronology based on blogs, journals, poems, and emails. Many of the emails written just two years ago embarrass me as I cannot believe the issues that concerned me! It is easy to forget how far we have come, how much we’ve matured without comparing life then versus now.

Our wicked thoughts and affections, words and actions, defile us, and these only. As a corrupt fountain sends forth corrupt streams, so does a corrupt heart send forth corrupt reasonings, corrupt appetites and passions, and all the wicked words and actions that come from them. A spiritual understanding of the law of God, and a sense of the evil of sin, will cause a man to seek for the grace of the Holy Spirit, to keep down the evil thoughts and affections that work within. - Matthew Henry’s Commentary

No comments: