Monday, August 4, 2008

1 Peter 1:6-9

I think I have a new favorite Scripture passage, 1 Peter 1:6-9. I read this repeatedly yesterday and each time, it was like applying balm to my heart. For non-believers, trials and tribulations are only an inkling of what their destiny will be like without Jesus. But for Christians, trials and tribulations not only strengthen our character, making us more Christ-like, they are tests of our faith, which is worth more than gold.

I struggle with what to share with who regarding my hardships. We all have problems, I just seem to be going through a more challenging season right now (a season that doesn’t seem to end, I might add.) Never mind my health issues, I am behind on my rent, car payment, and my car insurance is scheduled to be cancelled next week. Needless to say, last week was not a productive week for me as I spiraled into desperation. Not once did my faith waver – I am just afraid God is going to send me where I don’t want to go… like living under a bridge with nothing but my cats. I will go wherever He sends me, but I don’t have to be happy about it.

Well, a busy friend needed some data entry done, which I agreed to do simply because she’s my friend and I want to help however I can. I was more than happy to help. She kept insisting she pay me, which I did not want. Finally, I told her I felt weird about her giving me more money. I asked her point blank: “Did God tell you to give me more money?” She said He told her to pay me for my work. Okay, I couldn’t argue with that. And pay me she did! I have enough to get my checking account out of the negative and pay my car insurance, plus gas for the month.

I wasted all last week worrying. All those hours I could have been serving others, writing about how wonderful my God is. Which brings me back to 1 Peter 1: 6-9: Though I have not seen him, I love him. And even though I do not see him now, I believe in him and am filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for I am receiving the goal of my faith, the salvation of my soul.

No comments: