Friday, August 15, 2008

Secrets


The secret to living right is have no secrets about how you are living.
When I compare my life today with how it was 5 years ago, there is one thing that has made all the difference: transparency. I pride myself in being an open book, what you see is what you get. I don’t tell other people’s secrets, but I don’t have any of my own. Sure, it makes for some awkward silences and people gradually float away from me when they are too uncomfortable, but these costs are worth the price of being accountable. I believe we get into trouble the moment we do something that we wouldn’t want anyone to know about. So I have formed close friendships where I am able to be open and honest without playing games. Not only am I able to be completely authentic while being held accountable, transparency is incredibly liberating!

Of course, this only works in the closest friendships… you don’t want the mailman knowing your latest crush. And those friendships have to be strong enough to carry the truth and nothing but the truth so help you… They have to have your best interests at heart.

If I were married, I suppose my husband would be the one who I confided everything to. But for now, I’ll keep sharing with my closest friends who are helping me become the person I was created to be.

Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God. – 1 Cor. 4:5

--

1 comment:

Lucinda said...

I am really striving to stay out of negative talk and not respond to gossip, to drop the judgemental attitude I have carried along my path. I have notice, as you wrote, the numerous times I meet with "awkward silences". I don't mean to be flippant, but it is getting to be rather funny! Peole's eyes kind of glaze over as they don't know how to proceed and then they drift away. Thanks.