Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Shaken

2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

My hand is red from dumping hot coffee on it this morning.
I have mopped 3 times in the last 4 days.
My handwriting is unreadable, even to me.
I keep missing the toll basket when I put in my quarter.
And I have resolved to use my debit card instead of cash as I keep pinching cashier’s hands when they give me my change.

Outward indications are I am falling apart. I am on new medications for my lungs, heart, and stomach. Today, I start a new medication – an inhaler. I never considered myself “disabled” before… I do now. The medications have me shaking uncontrollably. It’s embarrassing and frustrating.

You think I would be depressed about losing my independence. I should be depressed, but I am not. If I wasn’t a Christian, I’d be hopeless and devastated. But God has me. He keeps reminding me I am solid with Him. I see the increase in limitations as frequent reminders that he is right by my side, a regular reminder of my security in Him.

Psalm 62:2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

But let all beware of carnal security. Neither outward prosperity, nor inward peace, here, are sure and lasting. The Lord, in his favour, has fixed the believer's safety firm as the deep-rooted mountains, but he must expect to meet with temptations and afflictions. When we grow careless, we fall into sin, the Lord hides his face, our comforts droop, and troubles assail us. - Matthew Henry Commentary

No comments: