Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Unconventional Love


I continue to think of my friend en route to Ethiopia to meet her son. She has prayed – and asked her friend’s to pray – for over a year. I remember when she first told our Bible Study group what she had felt called to do, and the various stages it took to get where she is today. Family members were not exactly thrilled to hear her family was about to become inter-racial (is that the right word? Biracial doesn’t sound right). Then there was the extensive application process, not to mention costs – both financial and emotional. She knows she is in for a life of ignorance, cruelty, and just plain stupidity. Even I asked her why not adopt from the United States? We have so many unwanted children HERE, on our own soil. She explained how the U.S. takes much better care of children than Ethiopia. It didn’t take much to make me – and others – understand this is what God has called her and her husband to do. And she sacrificed for it… when we had burgers and fries at Animal Kingdom, she had a peanut butter sandwich tucked in her purse. Christmas gifts were handmade with love. She saved and scrimped and sacrificed. She has inspired so many people, including me. I am in awe of her determination and obedience to Christ as her webpage states, Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress..."-James 1:27
I’m convinced that I am called to glorify God in my struggles and sacrifices (yet unlike my friend, I am not always a willing participant in my sacrifices!). We all have different callings on our lives, yet they all fall under the command to Love One Another As Christ Loves Us. The specifics in how to love is anything but conventional… then again, everything about Jesus is anything but conventional.

*Please keep my friend and her family in your prayers.
More information - Adoption Agency
NY Times Info on Ethiopia

No comments: