Monday, September 29, 2008

By Standing Firm

Every morning, I read Scripture until some passage stands out and I think about it all day. The past three days, I’ve been stuck on Luke 21:12-19. So much is conveyed through these verses:

12 But before all this, they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. 13This will result in your being witnesses to them. 14But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. 15For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. 16You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. 17All men will hate you because of me. 18But not a hair of your head will perish. 19By standing firm you will gain life.


See what I mean? Jesus warns us that following Him will not be easy, yet with Him at our side, we can stand firm and persevere until the end. I wasn’t thinking of this passage when I sent the following email last night:
Have a tough meeting tomorrow. Please pray for the Spirit to give me words to say…Thanks.

Now I look at verses 14, 15… and am encouraged and comforted knowing He will give me the words and wisdom needed to defend myself. Reading this prophesy makes all I have been through look like child’s play… haven’t worked since June 12 yet all my bills are paid!!! God is so good. Yesterday, I looked at the calendar and realized another month is ending, and bills will be due again. I got a bit panicky, thinking ‘what if ...? What if ....? What if….?” Then I felt so ashamed that after all this time, I still fret over how I will survive… God has shown me so many times if I practice active faith (meaning I do what I can to work along side of Him), He takes care of everything… no matter what happens, By standing firm, you will gain life.

1 comment:

R.L.Scovens said...

It's amazing how He has to keep showing himself to us. We need to have faith that what He's done in the past, He will do again!