Monday, September 15, 2008

Hot, Hot, Old


I had a very scary experience at the beach yesterday. To my credit, I tried to get a friend to go with me at the last minute for fear something bad would happen… but not everyone will drop their plans to go to the beach. So I went alone – which is not a big deal normally. Yesterday though, I went in the water and suddenly became very dizzy. I sat and let the waves wash over me for awhile, then fell 3 times when I tried to stand up. I’m sure it was quite entertaining for people around me. So I crawled out of the water and kept saying, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me…”, barely making it to my towel. I sat down for awhile to get my bearings, only to fall 2 more times when I stood (or tried to stand). It was horrible. Whenever I looked up, I got dizzy and lost my balance. I had to keep watching my feet, not looking to see where I was going, just focusing on one step at a time. I thought it was walking in the sand that was making me fall, but the dizziness continued on the boardwalk, grass, and cement. On top of all this, I couldn’t catch my breath! Very terrifying. I have never been so thankful to see my car in my life. Once I got in, I called Dr. Mom who said it sounded like I was dehydrated and over-heated (what am I – an engine?). She told me to sit in the air condition and drink water for awhile. Sure enough, this did the trick and I felt fine for the rest of the day. Now my legs are so sore I can barely walk – they endured quite a work out yesterday!

Maybe I need to stop going to the beach by myself. Oh, and yesterday was the first time a guy did not try to hit on me (which always happens when I am at the beach alone). Guess that’s a good thing considering I was already breathless and lightheaded.

Just one more reminder I am getting older and can’t endure things that I once did.

Email Responses:
Yea, that's scary. Did you take any water with you to your blanket? Eeek.
Be careful.
And I can't imagine why you didn't get hit on. :)
Just be careful.


That is very scary, I"m so glad you are ok - it was almost 100 yesterday - Extremely hot. Please take it easy today and let your body recover! Drink lots of water too! (In case you didn't hear that from a million people already!).
I am so thankful you are ok.

No comments: