Saturday, September 20, 2008

Need For Alarm

Smoke alarms terrify me! Maybe it’s because I am easily startled by loud noises, or maybe it’s because I am afraid I won’t escape if there is a fire. Whatever it is, I hate smoke alarms. The entire year living in a college dorm allowed me very little peaceful sleep since drunken residents would pull the alarms at 2am. Even though I knew there was no fire, it was traumatic!

My smoke alarm just went off… scared the crap out of me. I was in the kitchen and the alarm was in the hallway. I imagined facing a raging fire on the other side of the wall! Luckily, it was only the smoke from incense I had lit. Still, I am sitting her a half hour later in a state of anxiety, expecting some loud noise to go off. And poor Zoey, I have no idea where she is hiding.

The funny thing about this is the timing… I remember as a kid, I would be on panic mode whenever my parents would leave for fear something would happen. Who would save me? Even a few years ago, I called Rob from Tallahassee, panicking being so far from Northland, telling him “what if I get sick? There’s no one here I can call!” Rob assured me that our congregation is so big, no matter where I am in the world, someone will know a contact person to rescue me.

Now I have ‘my Spiritual brother’ and his wife listed as my emergency contacts. I mean, if I ended up in jail, I need to know who to use that one phone call for! He is out of the country on a mission trip, but before he left, I told him I needed to find a back up. He said I can use his wife as a back up because she is a strong woman and ‘knows how to bail people out of jail’. HA! I thought of that while the alarm was blaring. No matter what I found on the other side of the wall, I knew I could call her. That fact helped prepare me to face the unknown.

Yes, God is all the protection we need… but once again, He puts us in relationships to help comfort one another in good times and bad. As Billy Graham once said, “Churchgoers are like coals in a fire. When they cling together, they keep the flame aglow; when they separate, they die out.”

1 comment:

fruitfulwords said...

After I read your post, I sat wondering who I would call if I had a raging fire or was thrown into the pokey.

I made up a list of names with the contact numbers. It was comforting to see I do have people to help me in my times of panic and/or trouble. Thansk for the reminder. :-)