Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Socializing


Beth Moore is talking about there are some things we all go through that no one but God completely understands. She states that even if we are in a group of people who have experienced the same devastation as us, there are still so many variants, including age of occurrence, genetics, family systems, etc. She referenced Proverbs 14:10 - Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.

Still, sometimes we need someone to understand, to affirm and validate what we are going through.

Yesterday, I received several emails in response to my blog entry, “Just Go”. They were intended to encourage me, and had nothing but the best intentions… still, I felt like no one understood how hard it can be for me to socialize. Yes, I went into a self-pity mode, feeling like all the hard work I have been doing (to NOT isolate) has been taken for granted because I don’t share the struggle like I use to, but it is still there, everyday.

I called my brother, knowing he has seen me at my worst and wanted him to tell me he understands (since he is an introvert too). The discussion took on a different turn as he told me about all the (song) writers he knew who isolated. He said he has seen them before they became full-time writers, when they were out at parties and social events as part of their job, but now that they are writers, he never sees them. Isolating is part of the artistic/creative process… I needed to hear that.

Today I cancelled my social events except for taking Twyla’s dog, Dani, out. That won’t be bad because Dani makes me laugh and listens to my thoughts without ridiculing me. Just knowing I don’t have any social obligations feels like a load off my chest… I know that concept maybe difficult to understand, but that’s okay.

Found the following commentary from PBMinistries.org:

Proverbs 14:10 “The heart knoweth his own bitterness; and a stranger doth not intermeddle with his joy.” American Indians had a proverb: “Do not criticize another’s walk until you have walked two miles in his moccasins.” No one can appreciate nor understand one suffering like the individual himself, (1 Cor. 2:11; Gal. 6:5). “We must not censure the griefs of others, for we know not what they feel; their stroke perhaps is heavier than their groaning,” [M. Henry]. Both the bitterness and the joy is most felt by one’s own innermost being; though we may try, we can never really, fully explain either one to others.

1 comment:

R.L.Scovens said...

I'm also a very creative introvert. I enjoy my alone time,but sometimes it's nice to get with others. I don't have any "others" to connect with except online, so I do get lonely sometimes....not TOO often though!