Friday, October 10, 2008

History with Humor

I have brilliant friends… I truly do.
Amanda knows everything about current events. For example, Bryn and I were wondering how the cost of gas can vary within the city. I said, “Let’s ask Amanda… she’ll know.” Sure enough, she explained the whole economic fuel system. Bryn is like a walking Google. She knows something about everything. In fact, in the last 3 or 4 years of our friendship, there have only been 2 questions I’ve asked that she did not know the answer; one was about cerebral palsy, the other was what do Hari Kristner’s (sp?) believe. Two questions out of 500 or so isn’t bad!

Yesterday, I had lunch with another genius… my doctorate student friend, Twyla. She’s a physicist who works with cancer research. Way over my head. Now, I know I have 3 graduate degrees myself, but trust me, I am not as smart as people think I am, especially in history.

The other day, I asked a friend if he remembers the Great Depression... a friend who is only a decade or so older than me. I was so embarrassed when he told me the Great Depression was in the late 1920’s, I tried redeeming myself by telling him how bad I am in history. True story – someone recently (teasingly) asked me if I knew who won the Civil War. My sincere response was ‘who was in it!’ The person laughed so hard, I never did find out who won.

Don asked me if I knew where Mount Rushmore is…. Wyoming? He said I was close. I asked who was in Mount Rushmore, to which he told me 4 presidents, ending with Thomas Jefferson. My response? “Isn’t he who invented the light bulb?” Don gently informed me that was Thomas Edison. Jefferson, Edison… sounds the same, maybe I am an auditory learner.

So my lunch with Twyla was a mini-history lesson, as she answered my questions about Israel, Pakistan, foreign policy, Cuba, etc. It was the best lunch I’ve had in a long time as I loved learning that stuff! I guess I am getting old. The days of discussing men, make-up, and shopping … well, that’s all history.

No comments: