Sunday, January 11, 2009

Good Ol' Days?

“I forget you have all that baggage from your past… that was your old life… You’re not like that anymore.”

This was Rob’s response when I confided in him last night. One positive thing about being in a depression, your one concern is survival… just making it through the day. Now that I am out of the depression, I am ‘free’ to revisit experiences other than basic living tasks.

This morning, my reading led me to Romans 6: For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin…For sin should not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

It was God’s grace that took me through months of depression. In retrospect, I now see what a blessing that time was, transferring me from my old life to my new life. The old life is gone forever. I can’t go back to that life even though I sometimes want to. God really does use what was intended to harm us as something for our own good.

No comments: