Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Age to Age


You can assume ‘something is going on’ when I don’t blog.
It’s not depression… it’s discontent. It’s a mid-life crisis. Now don’t tell me I’m too young or any of that. I am having a mid-life crisis. I went to my friend from middle school’s house and we drove around, just talking like we were still in high school.

Anyway, she shared others who went through the same thing when they hit 40. Feeling like they hadn’t done enough to ‘help the world’. She turns 40 a month after I do… but she isn’t freaking out like I am.

One last thing; she told me the following:
“I’ve been thinking about what you said, how you feel sorry for the men who date you. Shelly, I have never put Cerebral Palsy before you. I see you, I see my friend, Shelly, who has brown hair, and Cerebral Palsy. When we were kids, C.P. never entered my mind. When we had to run laps at P.E., you did it. You did everything we did. Your C.P. was never an issue.”


This is the girl who has known me since 6th grade. This is the girl who is helping me face my 40th birthday.

No comments: