Friday, February 27, 2009

The Deal With Church

My church just amazes me. Non-Christians will likely not read past that first sentence, thinking “here she goes with her religion again!”. I grew up in a church where it was literally a chore to go to on Sundays. I remember being very quiet in the morning hoping my mom would oversleep so we would miss church.

The church I go to now, Northland, is so different. I go there during the week just to hang out! It has a Natures Table café’ where I meet friends for lunch, a well-stocked bookstore, and a feeling like “Cheers” where everybody knows your name.

People around the world do know the Senior Pastor’s name, Dr. Joel Hunter. Google him sometime… very impressive credentials. He prayed with President Obama a couple times, and travels the world helping promote the love of Christ. Yet you would never know who he was if you didn’t know what he looked like. He is one of the most humble people I have ever met. And his entire family have each done incredible things for the community and country but humility runs through each of them.

So where am I going with all this? Northland helps me love people in a real, caring, active way. Not just my friends, but strangers in the store or drivers on the street. Every time I leave Northland, I want to help someone, send an anonymous thank you card to a missionary, pay the toll for the car behind me, let someone with only 2 items go ahead of me at Publix.

You see… it’s the act that people remember. The thoughtfulness and selflessness when people take time to care for you. My friend, Rob, is always working plus has 2 kids and a very successful wife. Yet he makes me feel like I am the most important person in the world sometimes. Yesterday, he was hard at work, I knocked on his office door with 2 pieces of a cat scratch post that needed to be screwed together (fine motor skills is not my forte!). He removed his headphones, got a screwdriver, and put it together for me. Perfect example… that may sound minor to you, but for me, having cerebral palsy, he saved me from jabbing my hand with a screwdriver!

Today, make it a point to do something simple for someone. It may be no big deal to you, but for the recipient, you could be showing them the way Jesus loves people… and that is a HUGE deal.

No comments: