Sunday, September 6, 2009

Thank You for the Discomfort


My bible is marked with dates and incidents next to verses I have meditated on. Since I change bibles frequently, the bible I’ve been using this past year has a theme reflecting clinging to Jesus instead of seeking comfort from others. Even I notice a chip on my shoulder in the markings of this bible.

Second Timothy 4:16-18 is etched in my heart because I’ve read it over and over… savoring each word with tears and praise. This morning, I read it with a new perspective.

17But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed…

I had no one to turn to except the Lord, no one to strengthen me but Him…

Matthew Henry writes, “ If the Lord stands by us, he will strengthen us in difficulties and dangers, and his presence will more than supply every one's absence.”

What blessings would I have missed if things had gone as I wanted? How often do I forsake the Lord’s strength and presence for the sake of comfort and social acceptance? What could be better than His strength in difficulties and danger, and his presence which more than supplies every one’s absence?

I know the answers to these questions… my problem is I forget to practice what I know.

No comments: