Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dog Application Almost Complete

Two months later, I finished my short bio for my assistance dog application. Now I have to attach a few photos of my abode, and get this package in the mail. Here's the bio:
Shelly Weiss
Autobiography for Assistance Dog
 
I am a 40 year old single lady who lives in a 2 bedroom villa. While I have had Cerebral Palsy (C.P.) since birth, I have lived independently since attending college in 1993. My speech, walking and motor skills are impaired by C.P., yet never to the degree of impairing my ability to perform daily living skills until a few years ago when I started falling and having trouble with fine motor tasks (such as picking things up).  Last month, I fell and was unable to get back up due to lack of balance and coordination, and now I am scared to leave my home for fear this may happen again. I see a psychiatrist for anxiety and clinical depression, both of which would be greatly helped if I had an assistance dog. I love animals and am always uplifted when I see friends’ dogs, especially golden retrievers! For 12 years, I owned a golden retriever and he was one of the best friends I have ever had. Hopefully, I will be able to have an assistance dog to have a mutually rewarding companionship with.
 
Thank you,
Shelly

No comments: