Saturday, October 10, 2009

Praying

Prayer was on my mind last night so I listened to Phillip Yancey’s audiobook, Prayer: Does it Make Any Difference? while drifting of to sleep. Yancey points out that Jesus felt compelled to pray so we should pray. Jesus, the Son of God, who knew things we will never have the ability to comprehend, spent entire nights praying. Therefore, although sometimes praying may feel silly and ineffective, Jesus’ actions prove otherwise. Besides, being a Christian means being Christlike… Christ prayed, so I pray.

Yet prayer is a weak area in my life. I don’t ‘be still and know that he is God’ (Psalm 46:10) nearly as much as I’d like, which explains why prayer has been on my mind.

This morning, I opened my Bible to Job 11:13-15, which reads:
Yet if you devote your heart to him and stretch out your hands to him, if you put away the sin that is in your hand and allow no evil to dwell in your tent, then you will lift up your face without shame; you will stand firm and without fear.

The Hebrew word for ‘hand’ in verse 13 is kap, signifying the flat part of the hand. In Exodus 9:29, the same word is used to indicate ‘the hands being spread out in prayer’. Prayer!! I did not know Job 11:13 referred to prayer until I looked it up in my Lexical Aids Bible!

Why do we neglect to spend quality time in the Word? God never fails to profoundly speak to my heart if only I put Him first. And when He speaks, everything and everyone else is put into proper perspective. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God (John 1:1). Not only was the Word at the beginning of all creation, it needs to be the beginning of each day, night, conflict, conversation, mission… the beginning of everything.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I pray for you every morning, Shelly, and when I see some of your hurting heart on FB. Know you are loved.

I am not going to comment on your other "poems"---but will say that they are beautiful. God has given you a unique talent. Never stop sharing.

:)+