Monday, February 1, 2010

Sharing Struggles

When hard times appear endless, it is human to question our relationship with God. Did I make Him mad? Has He removed His favor from me? Why isn’t He outwardly blessing me? Or, my personal favorite, how am I suppose to bring others to Christ when my life is such a mess?

In John 12:27-30, Jesus publicly proclaims his inner distress – Now my heart is troubled and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour? God answered in an audible voice, Jesus had glorified the Father’s name. Not long after, the crowd witnessed Jesus’ crucifixion on the cross.

How can we expect to have an easy life just because we are Christians? Why do we hesitate to share our struggles in fear of ‘giving God a bad name’? God’s ways are so much higher than ours. In Hebrews 5, we see how God was indeed glorified through Jesus’ death.
7During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him 10and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.
If we are to be like Jesus, we must be willing to die to our own ways and limited reasoning for the ultimate purpose of obedience to the Father’s will. Life as a Christian is far from trouble free, but it is simple. Just focus on following Jesus, obeying the Father’s will, denying your own comforts and desires. Let God take care of the rest.

No comments: