Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Active Faith

*Having issues with my main website so updating this site again.
---------
Facebook is helping me titrate of Xanax as my statuses reflect progress:
I'm making it!!! Making it through the day! Oh, yeah. Dillon has a new friend- Sunny the Sandpiper... He had a stroke. 4:23pm Monday
This morning’s update:
Slept great, feel great! Prayers are working. Only took 3. If this lasts, Sunday I'll go down to 2.
Encouraging words by others remind me I am not in this alone.
This is reiterated when I get quiet before God, and he brings specific verses to mind:
2 Corinthians 3:5 - Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.
Philippians 2:13 – For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
None of this can be attributed to my own self-will, rather it is the power of the Holy Spirit working through me. My struggle has been allowing Him to work through me by believing... and even believing is only possible through faith which comes from God. One of my key verses is from Mark:
Mark 9:23, 24 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes. Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
Matthew Henry’s Commentary reinforces how important faith and believing is in following God’s will:
The father of the suffering youth reflected on the want of power in the disciples; but Christ will have him reckon the disappointment to the want of faith. Very much is promised to our believing. If thou canst believe, it is possible that thy hard heart may be softened, thy spiritual diseases may be cured; and, weak as thou art, thou mayest be able to hold out to the end. Those that complain of unbelief, must look up to Christ for grace to help them against it, and his grace will be sufficient for them.
In no way am I saying failure to live happily is always due to disobedience to God. But for me, I am learning to trust my Lord in ways I have always tried control myself. Basically, I am giving all parts of my life to Him... at least that’s my goal as I pray the following prayer daily:
I pray for an open mind so I may come to believe in a power greater than myself. I pray for humility and continued opportunity to increase my faith. -- from The Twelve Steps- A Spiritual Journey

No comments: