Saturday, April 10, 2010

God's Gifts

The past 3 weeks, I’ve been working hard on my website, finally ready do full-time freelancing again. Writing is my passion and I’ve missed it. The gift of writing is something I’ve had my entire life until it was taken away from me in March 2009. Medical complications left me with no ability to produce readable penmanship, much less have the cognitive activity to transfer to paper. Six weeks of amnesia, inability to process information, and overall confusion. Writing was out of the question. How I regretted taking advantage of my writing ability for so many years and I vowed if God would let me have my mind back, I would write whatever He wanted, whenever He wanted.

He returned my gift… I returned to my old ways.

He brought this to mind when I couldn’t find the work I had been doing to propel my career. He reminded me of the sickness in my stomach as I wished I could get the writing back again. I messed up again. I was wasting my gifts, my life, AGAIN.

After hours of beating myself up, I had this thought… “What if the MAC signed in under my OLD name when it rebooted?” It couldn’t be that simple.

Guess what? It was. I didn’t lose a bit of the last three weeks work. Those hours of writing, editing and researching had not been wasted. I still have it, but now I value it so much more!

Matthew 25 tells what will happen when we take God’s gifts for granted.
24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.' 26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. 28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Very insightfull Shelly! Thank you for reminding me again that humility and gratefulness is the best mode of operation.

Adele said...

Finding your lost files reminds me of the scripture about God restoring the lost years. Haven't found it yet, but seems like it's in Isaiah. If so we'll find it in BSF next year!!!