Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Time Machine

One thing I both love and dislike about being a freelance writer is the lack of structure. My time is my time. It can seem I am free to go wherever, whenever I chose since there is no time clock waiting to be punched.

The struggle comes with prioritizing. Of course, at the top of the list is generating a comfortable income to pay my bills. If I don’t write, I don’t eat. If I don’t get clients, I don’t have internet to do my job. Can be quite intimidating if I sit and think about it.

Of course, it is tough to ‘write on demand’ when distractions (mental blocks, illness, cats wanting to play with strings, etc.) arise, which is most of the time. When time aligns with my mood, focus, and catnaps, I savor the minutes of productivity. Still, life happens.

We are not in this world alone. As Christians, we are commanded to love our neighbor, serve others, give of our time, talents and treasures, and to be vessels through which Christ shows his love. Our purpose in this world is to glorify God by letting others see ‘something different’ about us. I have to admit, as an introverted, nonconforming, self-proclaimed loner, I struggle with the ‘other people’ part.

So how does one find balance?

As I write this, I should be getting ready to go to Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). I don’t want to go because I really need to send out book proposals. As the Bible says, if one does not work, he does not eat. However, people from BSF regularly thank me for my contributions (answers, insights) to the group, even saying they see Jesus in me. THAT is the ultimate compliment. THAT is why I am here.

So I am choosing BSF over writing, trusting God’s promise that when we put His Kingdom first, all other things will be given to us as well. That includes writing inspiration, income, and catnaps.

No comments: