Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It is Well With My Soul

I am listening to It is Well With My Soul and just read this about the writer:

The words to this hymn was written after two major traumas in Spafford's life. The first was the Great Chicago Fire of October 1871, which ruined him financially. Shortly after, while crossing the Atlantic, all four of Spafford's daughters died in a collision with another ship. Spafford's wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram: "SAVED ALONE." Several weeks later, as Spafford's own ship passed near the spot where his daughters died, he was inspired to write these words.

Bliss originally named the tune "Ville de Havre" after the ship on which Spafford's four girls perished, the SS Ville de Havre. Ironically, Bliss himself died in a tragic train wreck shortly after writing this music.
--
Now THAT is faith... THAT is success. THAT is a the kind of person I aspire to be.

Last night, a dear person who has been in my life since birth, well, I finally accepted they are no longer in my life. In my way of grieving, I was going through photos of our good times together, all while a tornado siren was going off for at least 15 minutes. I just kept flipping through photos, wiping the tears, well aware a tornado could pick up my dwelling and send it into Oz. I was a bit worried about Jireh and Addy, but otherwise, I was at peace.

When we are right with God, nothing else matters. It is well with my soul.

2 comments:

ralongman said...

Thank you for this reminder.

ralongman said...

Thank you for this reminder!