Thursday, February 3, 2011

Contemplation

*Reposted from 2007


We are profoundly ordinary people sharing the same need to feel included, recognized and loved. As long as we regard our disabilities as tragedies, we will be pitied. As long as we feel ashamed of who we are, our lives will be regarded as useless. As long as we remain silent, we will be told by others what to do.

Adolf Ratzka 2005

My friend has been trying to bring me to the Catholicism camp,
appealing to me with words like ‘contemplative’, mystic, and abbey. “Just
think, Shelly, you could live in solitude, pulling a levy to get your food
so you don’t even have to interact with the kitchen staff!” Another coworker
joined in, “but you have to  become a Catholic.” I told them I had some
issues such as praying to the saints and purgatory… “Oh, we don’t require
that anymore,” they told me.  Personally, I think they are trying to earn
some membership toaster or something for recruiting members.
Today, my goal (with His strength) is to remain isolated in my mind as much
as possible. In other words, remain in constant communion with Him, praying and listening to him, even when others are around. This stems from words I read in 2 Thess. 3 regarding idle, unproductive busy bodies… and the need to keep away from them.  Even if we don’t  get into others business and am guarded against gossip, we can get too wrapped up in our feelings and
thoughts about temporary matters, especially expecting too much of people.
We lose sight of the eternal for the sake of the temporal. While waiting for
others, we are left behind. 


This is something I wrote last night as I was reminded that confidence in men comes from confidence in God:

Can’t wait around for others to help
While they’re solidifying their dreams-
Take a leap, go out in faith –
Trusting things aren’t as bad as they seem.

No comments: