Friday, December 16, 2011

Pity Party Crasher

My friend, Stacy, came over tonight. I really was in no mood to censor my conversations since I was feeling so low, but I really like Stacy and wanted to see her. She brought a book for me to borrow, The Search For Significance by McGee, and hinted how sometimes our thoughts are from the enemy and we need to refer to Scripture to remind us who God says we are. I hadn’t considered that fact. I guess I am so confident of the Holy Spirit living within me, I rarely question the source of my thoughts. I made a mental note to research spiritual warfare. I continued my uncensored discussion by sharing my pity party beliefs, which went something like this:

Me: I know God allowed me to have cerebral palsy so I could glorify Him by living successfully in spite of it, but how am I glorifying Him when I am struggling financially?
Stacy (thinking very carefully about her words… I could tell): How do you think you glorify God?
Me: By living independently, by being self-sufficient.
Stacy: Is that the only way (to glorify God)?
Me: Is this a trick question?
I knew it wasn’t, so I asked her what she thought.
Stacy: What about glorifying God by trusting Him regardless of your circumstances?

She was right. I had forgotten about the patience of Job. Somewhere along the way, I had decided my time of suffering had ended and enough was enough. Where was my faith? Where was my perseverance? Stacy’s words were exactly what I needed to shut down my pride and rediscover my faith. I felt the Holy Spirit speak through her words. By the time she left, I had a whole new attitude. I had hope again.

Stacy and Me at Church

No comments: