Sunday, July 8, 2012

Christians Surviving Depressions and Anxiety


When in a deep depression and/or severe anxiety, find whatever brings you even the least sense of peace and hold on to it as if your life depended on it, because it just might. Christians will tell you to just pray about it or ‘where is your faith’, tell them to go read the Book of Job, which includes such passages as those in Job 3: “Why did I not perish at birth, and die as I came from the womb? For now I would be lying down in peace; I would be asleep and at rest … What I feared has come upon me;
what I dreaded has happened to me. I have no peace, no quietness;
I have no rest, but only turmoil.”

DO NOT LET ANYONE convince you that you are less of a Christian because of your mental illness. At the same time, try, try, TRY to hold on to Jesus. I find when I am in my deepest pits, I obsessively study the Bible. because I know my faith is the one thing I can trust. Jesus is the one person who will never hurt me.

This morning, the 5th day of taking Prozac, I am disappointed I don’t feel better than I do (even though medications take 6-8 weeks to take full effect), but since Gods’ Word brings me comfort, I repeatedly read the Amplified Version of Psalms 1:2, and I am BELIEVING better days are coming… Hang on... and believe with me.


1 comment:

Psychological Assessment said...

Good points! Depression makes one go into a shell, and trying to reach out to people who are close, will enable one to emerge and find a way out. One should avoid being with oneself and make an attempt to mingle with people. It may be difficult at first but the process of getting better will become easier and effective.