Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hope in Suffering!


I have to share – I feel better today! For the first time in weeks,  I feel HOPE! I’ve been thinking a lot about Viktor Frankl, who was a psychotherapist that wrote The Man’s Search For Meaning. He was a hostage in a concentration camp (which is what the book is about). He wrote things like, “If there is meaning in life at all, then there must be meaning in suffering.”

He also wrote the following:
We who lived, in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms — to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.
And there were always choices to make. Every day, every hour, offered the opportunity to make a decision, a decision which determined whether you would or would not submit to those powers which threatened to rob you of your very self, your inner freedom; which determined whether or not you would become the plaything of circumstance, renouncing freedom and dignity to become molded into the form of the typical inmate.

I want to find and demonstrate meaning in my suffering. To be honest, the past few weeks. I have been mourning my friends and family…accepting I have no close friends for the first time in my life. I have felt my joy draining from me. I have felt the cavity where my heart resides ache like never before. I have cried out to God, begging him for relief.

And for whatever reason, I feel relief. Not only relief, I feel HOPE. If it takes days filled with nothing but pouring over Scripture,  praying and fasting… if that is what it takes to keep this HOPE, to keep this momentum, I will commit to it. I don’t want to give up. God has given me soooo much to share with others, I don’t want depression and anxiety to keep me from doing so. I feel HOPE! And according to Lamentations 3:25, “The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him.’

No matter what your situation, find HOPE in the Lord! Be determined to make your suffering worth it. Learn from your suffering. Listen in your suffering… do not suffer in vain.

No comments: