Thursday, April 9, 2015

Genesis 31- To Be Continued

Genesis 34 - To Be Continued...

It is dangerous to judge one incident without considering external factors, such as history, culture, setting, and laws. Genesis 34 provides the perfect example. While writing lessons learned from God's Word, this chapter is one I keep flagging to 'come back and edit' since I can't wrap my head around 'the whole picture'.

Here are the facts of Genesis 34:
Jacob's daughter, Dinah, was raped by Shechem. When Jacob found out, he remained calm. But when Dinah's brothers, Simeon and Levi were told, they not only went after the man who raped their sister, they attacked his people as well!
Jacob had a fit because his family name had been tarnished. The brothers reacted out of love for their sister.

Again, I am having difficulty knowing where to go from here. Maybe words will come to me after I get a second cup of coffee... I can't get past Jacob's reaction, or lack of. His daughter was raped and he was worried about his family name?!  What about his daughter?!

Today I will give the right answer, the "we need to be like Jesus" answer. Bottom line as Christians... God wants us to leave room for His wrath, let Him take care of those who hurt you.

Romans 12:19 says,  "Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord."

Can you imagine how chaotic this a world would be if every person took the law into their own hands? Acted without knowing the bigger picture? Responded without regard to the infinite details involved with each side of the story?

God is All Knowing! God is merciful! God is Just. He can also help you with your anger, bitterness, and dare I include, hatred!

I admit, the sinful part of me has a much different answer. To be continued...

1 comment:

Believeingrace.blogger.com said...

Ooooooh - this quote goes with today's blog entry: "But a man does not consist of memory alone. He has feeling, will, sensibilities, moral being—matters of which neuropsychology cannot speak." From ' The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat. " by Oliver Sacks