Saturday, April 11, 2015

Revenge Continued

My previous blog entry discussed the importance of leaving room for God's wrath rather than acting on our feelings. Jacob remained calm when his daughter was raped, while her brothers attacked the rapist and his people. Commentaries lauded Jacob as doing the righteous thing due to surrounding circumstances.

Honestly, I would like to say I would respond like Jacob, rather like Jesus, and leave revenge to God. I hope in most situations, I would trust God's justice to prevail. However, if someone molests my niece, he'd better hope the police jail him before I get my hands on him... and if you hurt my cat or dog, I will not be sitting back, waiting to see God's wrath.

Thankfully, He only gives us what we can handle. He knows I would lose it in certain situations, so I believe He protects me from such circumstances. I also believe His mercy allows us to feel compassion for those who encounter similar problems. As it says in 1 Corinthians 1:4, Jesus comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

Despite our sincerest intentions, we are far from perfect... thankfully, God is perfect.

No comments: